It's been a busy weekend with states competitions, following a busy week of training and preparing for states competitions. We had to skip roleplaying (for the third or fourth time in a row, previously people had been staggering being sick x_x) and there were 5-5:30am starts on Saturday and Sunday x_x as 14yo and I were getting picked up at 6am by the head coach. 16yo was sick for regionals and bailed out of states (because it's been a weird year some people that missed out on regionals due to illness or quarantine were allowed to apply to do states and most were accepted, he now regrets doing so, told him to make up for it next year). 14yo had an amazing day on Friday; managing third on vault and beam, equal first on floor with one of her friends, and third all around. On Saturday were just there as cheer squad. My level 3 and 4 boys did pretty well on Sunday with all of them getting at least one medal.
It was starting and I had plans and then other stuff happened and I just kind of tried to deal with things (generally failing) so kind of just buried into music (generally looping my project playlists) and did stuff (not nearly as much as I wanted, yeh I know that's the usual story, but it's even less done than usual as brain is not functioning correctly at the moment, I borked) and then suddenly it was the weekend.
To be honest a similar thing has happened over the last couple of weeks except this time I'm actually aware of what day it is beyond knowing where which child needed to be so I guess it's an improvement?
I'm going to try switching up the schedule again to:
It's been a few weeks.
And then I finally got around to writing this thing, and was making some half-decent progress (while chatting to sibling dearest in our inaugural hopefully weekly project chat and progressing some other stuff as well) and then had one of those infuriating semi-frequent crashes that refuses under any circumstances to be diagnosed (it's probably hardware because there is literally nothing that I am doing that can reproduce them reliably).
Some good things happened too. I got a new graphics card, which I of course had to test out on the top of Acaedia where there's a fair bit of glass.
The scales are still going. The only thing that's changed is that I'm now in the
yellow PURPLE section! XD
Once again, doing a bit more work on character portraits than 3d, because my brain just doesn't want to deal with the scales. I eventually decided to keep my character consistent with the other ones (Captain Gundry and Bricky Steve) rather than doing the different headshots (partly because I'm kind of designing the outfit and the "weapon" which isn't an actual weapon, just something she uses to beat people up with when she isn't riding around on it, on the fly and mostly because it is going to take the better part of forever if I do it that way, now at least I have some idea of when I might finish).
I'm halfway through 2/5.
There has not been a lot of progress this week, partly because I felt quite inspired by Sunday's roleplaying game and ended up working on character portraits instead,
I've always had a great respect for tattoo artists. I may or may not have mentioned the first time I did these tattoos that that respect increased by roughly an order of magnitude because unlike me they don't have undo buttons. And somehow can make things look good from most angles. I'm really feeling that again.
Also despite having had to do it for this version I still don't understand how people paint from colour blocks.
Perhaps because I finally have a vague idea what I'm doing, I managed to finish the dragon a lot quicker.
I did the scars as a bump map using bpainter. Then figured out how to string normal and bump nodes so that everything would go in nicely.
Normal map texture colour out plugs in to colour in of normal map node. Normal socket out of normal map node plugs into normal in of bump map node.
Scar image texture colour out plugs in to height in of bump map node and alpha out plugs into strength in. Normal out of bump node goes into normal in of another bump node if chaining more on or into normal in of the principled bsdf shader.
Alternate title: udim bulb.
That's my poor attempt at a play on words, not mapping a bulb using udims x_x
I definitely feel like a dim bulb at the moment.
I borked something severely while messing around with multiple single tile 8k maps, udim tiles with and without 8k tiles, and an add-on that bakes to udim tiles in preparation for this very progblog and ended up doing fun things to the ram
The rework continues.
I finished sculpting (it was the digits that took the longest again, all 10 of them because I was working in mirror mode so the other 10 on the other side were getting done simultaneously) and baked the normal map.
The first time it was yellow apparently because I didn't use a cage. I don't know why one was needed but apparently it was a thing that was needed so I checked that box but got it to extrapolate 1mm or 1cm (can't remember which) rather than making a cage mesh like I did with Red. That one came out blue/purple/pinkish like it was supposed to.
Now I'm painting out the seams