image link to hive image link to ko-fi

uv mapping

July ProgBlog #2

There was drama with my uv maps. They decided to “helpfully” maximise my uv space by stacking (basically symmetrical things neatly align themselves on top of one another to maximise efficient use of uv space…however because I’m painting the uv maps and there’s different things on each side I absolutely do not under any circumstances want that) and I don’t know when that happened or how to fix it. And there were these random little black dots which I think are polygons (because they only show up in polygon selection mode) but are unselectable.

October ProgBlog #2: the stupid things I do

I still do too many stupid things to count. This is just one of them. No not that in particular, that’s just my attempt at approximating Chinese brush painting (I have exactly no idea so I watched some tutorials, and I still have no idea). The *actual *stupid thing is this. That at the top is a copy of my rough sketch (the original has been turned off on the upside down one) and I’m going to repaint it.

June ProgBlog #2: Blender 2.92 notes - udim tiles

Alternate title: udim bulb. That’s my poor attempt at a play on words, not mapping a bulb using udims x_x I definitely feel like a dim bulb at the moment. I borked something severely while messing around with multiple single tile 8k maps, udim tiles with and without 8k tiles, and an add-on that bakes to udim tiles in preparation for this very progblog and ended up doing fun things to the ram

November ProgBlog #2

I progressed! Zara has been turned into a paint object and I really should have done her nails first but I got excited and launched straight into tattoos. They ended up looking slightly different from my reference pic (where everything was pretty much guesswork anyway). The wraparound dragon turned out to be a bit more confusing than I anticipated. I already had mad respect for tattoo artists but it just went up several thousand notches.

June ProgBlog #3: Noob Errors!

Obviously, I haven’t done uv mapping for a while. Last time was three years ago (jeez I’m so slow aargh it’s too late for me save yourselves). So while I remembered how they worked and seem to have gotten better at actually making/unwrwapping them, I managed to completely forget what they were. So when I was setting up the paint object, I automatically selected the largest they had available (16k), because in Krita I always paint on 16bit canvases.

June ProgBlog #2

I was actually intending to do this on Friday, but I was also setting up some new backup drives (my original drive was appropriated) and needed to copy the old backup from my computer (where it’s currently taking up a HELL of a lot of space!) and I found out the hard way that I can’t use 3d Coat and have big copy operations going at the same time because it makes my computer run out of memory.