Lame excuse: I haven't done a progblog forever because I got well and truly stuck redoing the prehensile tail rig, but I think I've fixed it now, and made it work (to some value of work) with the pitchipoy rig (the spline and its controllers are actually on their own rig, but the spline controllers are copying the location of some controllers that are on the pitchipoy rig with additional thingies to keep them from moving too far from each other, feels a bit convoluted but it works).
The problem with doing 3d or animation or 3d animation (for me at least) is that the works in progress shots can be exceedingly boring. I spent pretty much the entire streaming day yesterday finishing up the tail end of the rig test anim, and am currently letting it finish up a timing render which didn't finish overnight because I forgot to turn Avi's particles off. Oops.
I'm usually streaming on Picarto on Sundays after 12 and Thursdays from 9am-3pm AWST, though lion dance season is coming up which may throw the Sunday streaming a bit. I did a random ~4hr stream today as the in-laws have a busy week this week and decided to come today rather than not coming at all because they're awesome like that, working on an Ingress wallpaper:
Yesterday I switched up between working on the Zul'jinn concept:
The Dragonkin build was relatively easier than the Avian one; the wing fingers were a little bit fiddly but there were only five of them as opposed to a million feathers and all one object as opposed to a million XD
Base dragging Avi off on another epic adventure (or just to go find the missing-because-not-yet-made D).
Doing the turnaround directly before that with two characters was entertaining.
Avi showing off its feathers to an admiring Base. Turned off the covert layers so the viewport animation would play in real time (going to have to just toggle visibility when there's lots of characters) and left them off so it would render a bit quicker. Going to do a couple of refinement passes and decide whether I'm going to interact with them this time round or just have them fly off.
And this time they're not broken XD
Feather rigging took forever. I probably still haven't done it right and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make controllers for them (good thing I'm not aspiring to be a rigger!) but it will do for now.
Eventually got the hang of the Rigify-Pitchipoy rig that ships with Blender. I'll use this one instead of mine XD
(I made mine with the intention to use it for animating but it was mostly to learn how to rig in Blender because I like having an idea of how to do everything, I am however not a rigger)
Please excuse the odd deformations, it's a low poly model and I didn't fix up the (pretty good) autoskinning as the intention was to test the rig. These folded arms are much better than my last folded arms and much easier!
Update: now with animation!
How I feel about a number of things at the moment, including finally working out how to usea couple of the controllers that were puzzling me..
Part of the rig test I'm currently doing. Now that I've worked out how it works (setup is a bit of a chore especially the umpteenth time) Rigify-Pitchipoy is awesome XD I have zero regrets fighting with the rig I had before as I did want to learn how to rig (and now know how to do a basic one) but can't say I'm good at it. Will definitely be using this one for characters. Can really get stuck into characters and sets now I think as the rig was the last major blocker.
Okay so I have no excuse for sets really, I just wanted to get the rig sorted first.
The good thing about drawing is that you can blithely say that your character has a 20m wingspan and still draw them folded up neatly against their backs in the pose everyone expects, which is something similar to my short-armed redo which had a roughly 5m wingspan: