Felt like posting a quick screenie as I haven't done a public wip for a while (there's a couple on Patreon that are well before this stage). Still have to do his wings, hands, feet and tail but am pretty happy with how he turned out.
Sunday streaming was a bit messy today and will probably be messy over the next couple of Sundays as I continue struggling with logistics, and then will stop completely because I'm going home for a month!
Then it got cut short because there was a few too many heavy thundercracks that sounded on top of my house so I shut the computer down.
And as I said "done" and took and saved the screenshot, I went and made the knees less prominent. Roughly a month (~4 weeks) rather than one year which is much more betterer.
I had thought maybe I shouldn't post any more 3d stuff til I got to render stage, but then I optimistically decided that some people might like seeing the build in progress, and those that don't can just ignore them til there's something pretty.
So here's a shot of the mostly completed face with the wireframe turned on so show off how well Sculptris retopos the mesh and the dynamic topography (the dense spots on the arms are accidental touches).
Well, the mesh borked so terribly that I figured I would probably spend about as much time fixing it as I would starting over, so I started over.
Well I was wrong.
The last version of the horns took me about 8 months all up. I don't want to know how long I would have taken to eventually fix the mesh as I know I spent a good week or so experimenting. Starting over this version took me...
...wait for it...
...3 days (or the equivalent thereof as long blocks of work are hard to come by).
Though I'm sure I'll find more things to clean up and refine while I'm doing the rest of the body.
Anyway I tried to reflect nature somewhat with some horizontal bands like what's found in kudu (what I based Red's horns off):
Horizontal banding - can't make it look twisty enough!
While sculpting horns I was quite sure I was going to use Blender for all the sculpty goodness seeing as it had actually imported the mesh to begin with. I think I'm going to have to accept the fact that my brain is never going to play nicely with Blender because even though I have been doing so much better than I ever have, I still don't understand it.
I got stuck in "after I finish this bit" loop again when I thought about taking screenshots.
So I'm hideously slow on WiP shots. Part of it is because I'm feeling a distinct pointlessness in them (there are many characters and whatnot to come) and most of it is simply because I keep putting off taking the screenshot when I think about it, and then eventually forget.
Good enough for now, I'm sure I'll fiddle with it more as I go. Was going to post a much earlier wip and of course it was "after I fix this, and do this bit, and what the hell is that, and..." now it's mostly done.