It's been a busy weekend with states competitions, following a busy week of training and preparing for states competitions. We had to skip roleplaying (for the third or fourth time in a row, previously people had been staggering being sick x_x) and there were 5-5:30am starts on Saturday and Sunday x_x as 14yo and I were getting picked up at 6am by the head coach. 16yo was sick for regionals and bailed out of states (because it's been a weird year some people that missed out on regionals due to illness or quarantine were allowed to apply to do states and most were accepted, he now regrets doing so, told him to make up for it next year). 14yo had an amazing day on Friday; managing third on vault and beam, equal first on floor with one of her friends, and third all around. On Saturday were just there as cheer squad. My level 3 and 4 boys did pretty well on Sunday with all of them getting at least one medal.
I accidentally spent the entire week on UASG (or to be extremely specific, on those freaking dreadlocks >_<).
I'm currently on my...6th or 7th iteration.
I thought I'd be a smartarse and lay out the curve guides first (which I think I mentioned last progblog), and then followed up with experiments on whether I use the particle hair controls or the similar looking controls on the curve guides themselves to do the dreadlocks.
The curve guide controls couldn't get values as high as the actual particle hair settings so I used those instead.
The slow and painful days are starting to become a habit I really need to snap out of. Both projects are plodding along and I'm kind of bumbling my way through everything else around them with varying degrees of success.
After switching back to the colour map, I attacked the shape of the dragon tattoo, adding in these little belly scale segmentation things.
Trust me it's one of those tiny little things that you don't notice when it's done but that you would definitely notice if it hadn't been done x_x
The plane managed to land (rather heavily by the sound of things) despite the dubious weather on Christmas Island, and we made it back in the appropriate number of pieces just in time for what sounds like a proper lockdown, it seems.
Seriously though why do people insist on hoarding toilet paper.
Well, one week extra planning I guess, and I have to reschedule two appointments. The extra planning time will be helpful as I will probably need to actually have a work schedule again so I can learn the nonsense I need to figure out this hive front end silliness.
Quickie because sculpt fixing is taking forever and I felt like doing something else for a little while.
As I said in the last progblog, I had been intending on sketching Zara in a hive hoodie as I've drawn her in a steem hoodie previously, and then decided I should use her model instead. Some fixing was required and that had to be done anyway so it got done, and then I made the hoodie together out of a cube.
I thought I was pretty much done with Zara aside from wardrobe (which I can build out as I proceed through scripts) when I remembered that the goggles are an essential piece of kit as she's blind in the light without them.
Then I spent way too long staring at her for a bit before sending a screenie to Sprat asking if the eyes were too far apart. She confirmed that they were and that I should also maybe move the mouth up a tiny bit. So I did.
I have a cold which has managed to work its way up into my head and still quite a lot going on so I'm thinking really stupid thoughts at the moment. Like feeling guilty for not working on websites despite the fact we're currently closing down our business so all the website work I need to do are on technonaturalist, perhaps at some stage the two freebies which are the only ones still kicking around on my server, and working with the clients' new hosting companies to get their sites transferred. I managed to get over that after a few minutes of applying some logic to it.
And then I started feeling guilty for working on whatever it was I was working on instead of something else. Which continued applying even as i switched projects.
So somewhere in that pathetic self pity helix, I somehow managed to do the mouth cavity.
It's been an insane month and I didn't get much art done for most of it, hence the larger than usual dearth of progblogs. For the last few months Sprat and I have been closing down our business (which for me means doing all the techy stuff of moving or helping move websites, and at some stage I have more stuffing around to do with the server and more services to cancel), went to Melbourne for a quick getaway, my car was broken into and the house hunting has not stopped (except for this weekend where there were no house inspections except for a house we'd already viewed and JJ didn't organise any other ones).
I'm still not quite done with shifting sites around but am trying to catch up with the arty stuff again (I have yet to actually achieve that).
Lame excuse: I haven't done a progblog forever because I got well and truly stuck redoing the prehensile tail rig, but I think I've fixed it now, and made it work (to some value of work) with the pitchipoy rig (the spline and its controllers are actually on their own rig, but the spline controllers are copying the location of some controllers that are on the pitchipoy rig with additional thingies to keep them from moving too far from each other, feels a bit convoluted but it works).
Yes, I did it again.
Who would have thought manually doing the hair guides would look better and render a lot faster. I'm also using linked duplicates for the feathers but not sure how much that's helping if at all.
This was actually done a week or so ago, I'm currently working on the first layer of coverts.